Friday, January 17, 2014

Promise to Change

My students are writing "This I Believe" essays. It's a basic essay designed to get them to think deeply and assess what they believe in. Last year, I wrote the essay along with the students. I think it's a good idea for me to work alongside them sometimes. Obviously,  I won't be writing the lengthy research paper at the end of the semester ;-)

While they were brainstorming, they were sharing quotes and ideas with me. It was kind of neat to hear their thoughts on life. One of them mentioned how they believe that happiness is a choice. While I completely agree with this, I began to wonder if I lived that way. Do I embrace each day? Do I choose to be happy? Do you?

An essential life lesson is that we have the power to change - not just our attitude, but many other aspects of life. We have the freedom to follow our dreams, change our lifestyles, and act a certain way. It's rather simple to say, but oftentimes difficult to do. Habits are formed that are seemingly impossible to break. We fail. It's scary to change, but we can.

Not only are we able to change, but we are worthy of it. We all deserve to make changes to better ourselves. No matter what the past has presented, the future is clear and new. We can take that promise and move forward. Know your worth. Know that you can change. Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment