Thursday, January 2, 2014

Why Words Matter

I love words. I love crafting them, reading them, and using them to change people's lives. I suppose this was the driving factor when I decided to become an English teacher. I believe in the power of words. I am passionate about helping others write and share their words. Everyone has a voice. I am here to listen.

I spend quite a lot of time grading papers. No, I am not complaining. I am simply stating a fact, and for the most part, I enjoy reading essays. It's rewarding to see the students improve. Challenging them to do their best and stretch themselves as writers is especially difficult but worth it in the end. Already with half of the year completed, I can see growth from all of them. The other day I was reading essays, and I was reminded how awesome my job really is. As I read, I learned about my students. Sometimes I am surprised at how much they are willing to share, but more than anything, I am humbled. They trust me enough to write about nearly anything. This is very therapeutic for them, and I am glad that they are able to use words as an outlet.

I love quotes, probably because they are made up of words. I put a quote on my board every week. It was one of those things that I figured went unnoticed until I got a little note from a student last year. I had the students write down reflections from the year. She shared that she really enjoyed the various quotes on the board -- some funny, others sentimental. I have made sure to continue the tradition this year. I was working in my room after school, and the janitor came in to take out the trash. He told me that he read my board every time he came into my room. We chatted a little bit, and I couldn't help but think as he left the room, "Words matter."

Think about what you say. Think about what you write. Words matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment