Tuesday, December 31, 2013

This Year's Promise

Happy New Year's Eve! We are about to complete yet another year. Along with the top ten lists and nostalgic conversations, we are granted the promise of the upcoming year. This is a time when people start changing their diets, sweating in the gym, going cold turkey on their heaters, and vowing to be kinder to others. While all of this looks good on paper, how many of us actually carry out these promises to ourselves? I'm just as guilty as the next person. I want the next year to be the "best one yet." I love the idea of a fresh start, a new beginning.

To be honest, I hadn't really thought about a New Year's resolution, but this morning I was reading online articles posted on Thought Catalog. It didn't take long, and I was captivated by an article titled "7 Thing I Learned From A Year Of Confidence." It was then that I realized that this year is going to be about loving myself. I need to promise to care about myself, feel confident, and know my importance.

In the article, the writer had a conversation with another confident woman. She told her, "I love myself, and know that I'm good. I'm a good person, I try hard, I learn from my mistakes No one can take that away from me." What an amazing gift she is giving herself on a daily basis.

Too often we put ourselves down. We forget our self-worth. How can we expect to love others when we are continually beating ourselves up for petty things? Instead, we must look at all of the wonderful attributes we all have. Everyone is positively contributing in some way or another.

This year, I will focus on loving myself. Self-care and self-love are underestimated and so very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment