Tuesday, December 24, 2013

When I Grow Up

What do you want to be when you grow up? It's the daunting question we've been asked since we could talk. As children, it's excited to think of the endless possibilities that lie ahead of us. As adults, we joke about how we haven't gotten it all figured out yet. For all of us, it's reality.

I remember being asked this very question. I remember thinking that I just wanted to be happy. I wanted to be in a profession that left me with a sense of fulfilled. I know that I was made for a purpose, to teach others. The crazy thing is that I didn't realize this until later. As you may already know, I went back to school to become a teacher after working the the marketing field for a short time. While it is not the most direct route, it has lead me to the greatest profession -- teaching.

One of the reasons I bring this up is because many - if not all - of the seniors are talking about next year's plans. They are being asked by everyone they see: What are your plans for next year? Annoying, but people are just trying to be friendly. Isn't it strange though? We are asking 17 & 18 year olds to figure out their futures. While I believe in my students, and I think teenagers are given a bad rap, it still is a lot pressure.

I've been thinking about how to help them through this process. What can I say to ease the tensions? What do I wish someone would have told me?

* You are not your past. So many kids come from broken homes that offer little hope. I hope that my students know that they can build a new life for themselves. I believe this to be true.

* Do what makes you happy. This is the first real decision that these kids can make on their own. I hope they follow their own hearts, not their friends or their significant others.

* Mistakes and regrets are okay. What can I say, they happen. It's okay to make mistakes, just not over and over. It's okay to regret, but don't dwell on it. They are both a part of life.

I hope that everyone can go home at night with happiness in their hearts. If life has thrown you a bad hand, seek the good that comes alongside. Oftentimes, it's hard to find; however, it's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment