Thursday, December 5, 2013

Taking a Timeout

It's been a while since I've written a post. I have been beyond busy. A couple of weeks ago, I started my job as an assistant varsity girls basketball coach. Even since then, I have been going and going and going (Energizer bunny style). I can't say this has been all bad, but it was really only a matter of time before I crashed. With that said, by Tuesday this week I started feeling sick. I decided to just take a timeout today. I stayed home, and it was just what I needed. Just like I expect my players to do, I need to listen to myself when I need a break.


Why is it so hard for us to admit when we need a break? I was going back and forth with myself. Should I stay home? Should I push through until the weekend? My decision came after thinking of my students. After all, my real job is making sure they are learning and that I am doing my best to make that happen. The truth is, when I feel like crap, I teach like crap. I felt that way on Tuesday and Wednesday. I was doing a disservice to my students, and I that is not who I am. I know that I will go back tomorrow feeling prepared and upbeat. I will be the teacher that my students expect when they enter my classroom. And the best part? Tomorrow is Friday :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment