Saturday, December 7, 2013

Do What You Love, Love What You Do

This morning, I decided to take advantage of the fitness classes that are offered at my gym. I was feeling great after circuit and kickboxing. I really wish more of the classes fit into my schedule, but I have a pretty crazy life right now, so it's not surprising. As I drove home and got cleaned up, I couldn't help but smile. This is my favorite way to start a weekend. 

I had a few of those 'smiley moments' this week, and I realize this is because I love what I do. I am blessed with a career that leaves me fulfilled at the end of the day. Often I am overfilled, but that just comes along with working with other people... especially teenagers.

It happens every so often that I make a point to step back and soak it all in. I had a substitute on Thursday, and the kids were great. But what made this even more sweet was the fact that they missed me. Obviously, they didn't come right out and say it, but I could tell by our interactions on Friday. They seemed to respect and appreciate me, and I couldn't ask for much more than that. 

While I love teaching, it is not my entire life. Many of my students think this, but it is far from the truth. I thought about this after my workout. I feel fulfilled when I am doing the things I love OUTSIDE of the classroom as well. In order to appreciate my career as a teacher, I have to get away. I have to step back. My students are on my mind quite a bit, but is also my job to stay healthy... inside and out. I need to stay in-check with myself. To be honest, I have not been doing a very good job of that lately. I have strayed away from my faith a little. I hate this. I feel distant, and it hasn't taken long to have impacted my attitude. This weekend is going to be a time to recharge and refocus. I am going to do that by doing what I love, and loving every minute of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment