Friday, January 23, 2015

Remember Why

Usually Friday nights for me end up one of two ways: dead and passed out on the couch by 8pm or pumped up and out with friends. Tonight my mood lands somewhere in between. I had a really great week. A few hiccups, but overall, school went well and I started a new workout plan, which always leaves me hopeful.

As I was walking around helping students with their writing today, I had one of those moments when I remembered why I started teaching. I'm not sure if I've ever shared my story, so here it goes...

I began at UNI with my heart set on majoring in anything but education. Everyone assumed that would be my field of interest, and I was dead set on proving them wrong. After taking classes in the Communication department, I fell in love with the content. Upon graduating, I worked in the marketing field for only six months before realizing that God had a different plan for me. I was sitting at my sister's basketball game (she a junior at the time), and the atmosphere of the high school felt so right. I started praying about it and finally built up the courage to have a conversation with my parents. Without hesitation, they agreed to support my decision. I continued to pray. One Sunday at church, I heard a message about how God uses our talents. I was unfulfilled at my marketing position and knew that God had much more in store for me. The summer after graduating with my first degree, I began my journey to become an English teacher. I never looked back. 

I chose the English field because writing has always been easy for me. I jump at any chance to write. I also feel very passionate about the importance of writing and reading. While students may not see the relevance of reading classic literature, exercising their brains by reading and analyzing is essential. But, more than anything, the reason I became a teacher is to give a voice to my students. I've said it before, but teenagers are smart. They have so many wonderful ideas, and in my classroom, they get to share them. Lately I've been reading about being a light in dark places. "Be the light that allows others to see." I strive to be a light for my students. When students leave my room, I want them to know that I value their ideas because they matter.

I looked around my classroom today and remembered the "why." When is the last time you did the same? 

No comments:

Post a Comment