Saturday, February 7, 2015

Living Out the Ordinary

There are few days in our lives in which "big" events take place. High school graduation. Choosing a career and finding a job. Moving to a new area. Marriage. Children. And the list goes on... Tucked into those "big" events are a whole bunch of ordinary days. We wake up, go about our daily routines until it's time to rest again that night. Those ordinary days aren't necessarily bad, just regular, mundane, average.

Ordinary can be comfortable. Sometimes having a "normal" day is exactly what I need; however, other times these days grow tiresome. These days seem to be where I live in limbo. I don't know when the next "big" event will take place. I don't know what it will be, and the uncertainty leaves me anxious. And along with that, somewhere along the way, I have been told that ordinary is not enough. My seemingly mundane life is unexciting, and that is not okay... or is it?

These ordinary days are for waiting. Speaking of being anxious, waiting can be so uncomfortable. We want the answers, often becoming impatient and cranky. What can we do to make waiting in ordinary days bearable? Be thankful. It may sound stupid, hard, confusing, but it's really the only way to make each day positive. No, not every day is exciting, but that doesn't mean we can't find something to be thankful for. My lessons will not be super-engaging each day, but I can be thankful that my students seemed to understand the material (or that a fight didn't break out?). I may have gone to bed at 8 p.m., but I can be thankful for a good night's rest. There might not be big plans for the weekend, but I can be thankful for the gift of relaxation. We can live out the ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment