Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Past is Past

I have been spending time in my hometown the past few days. It has been really great regrouping after the school year. My sister will be gone for the summer, so we have shared some laughs along with the rest of my family. It's nice to have a place to come home to.

Last night, I was able to see some old friends. We reminisced about stories of the past, shared plans for the future, and created new memories with smiles on our faces. Sometimes it makes me anxious to see people from my past. I never know if they will judge me or think I am not in the right place (as if there a "right place" to be). Of course, these are just silly insecurities. I have surrounded myself with really wonderful people that genuinely care about me. That was very evident last night. Another blessing to be thankful for.

My sister and I drove to get coffee this morning. As we talked about how things have changed, how people have grown up and moved on, any anxieties I had about the past gently lifted off my shoulders. The words "what's past is past" have been ringing in my mind. The past shapes us; it teaches us how to be better. There are many aspects that will never be forgotten, and that isn't necessarily all bad. What really matters is knowing when to leave the past in the past. After all, the future is very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment