Thursday, May 30, 2013

Prayer

I have been taking an Alpha class on Wednesdays at my church. This program is used worldwide as a tool to help Christians become deeper believers. It also provides discussion and answers to seekers as those join together to explore the meaning of life. I find that it is so important to connect with the church mid-week.

Last night, the topic was "prayer." Why and how do I pray? While I have been praying my whole life, sometimes I feel a little lost as I begin my conversations with God. Recently, I had a discussion with my mom about my prayer life. We talked about how there are just so many things to pray about, and how it is easy to get lost in prayer. She encouraged me to ask God what I need to pray about. Last night, the minister spoke about building a relationship with Him just as we would with a best friend. How does your best friend know your favorite food? She listens; we spend time together. God knows us; however, it is important for us to know Him. We must spend time with Him in order to really know what to pray about.

"Prayer is the most important conversation of the day." It doesn't have to be poetic. God knows your heart, and He just wants to hear from you. I find it helpful to have "whisper prayers" throughout my day. This helps me keep my focus on Jesus, rather than losing sight of what matters most: my Creator.

Yesterday, my sister left for the summer. She is going to be a camp counselor for kids of all ages. I know she will be an amazing light for everyone she meets. One of her preparations before leaving was downloading new music. I mentioned the new song by Sanctus Real called "Prayer." The lyrics speak directly to the conversations that took place at Alpha. For your listening pleasure:



No comments:

Post a Comment