Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Use Your People

Writing is a huge part of my curriculum. Not every student that comes into my classroom is going to be a great writer, but they will be writing frequently. Whether they like it or not, writing is an unavoidable tool that drives many aspects of our lives. 

One of the most challenging parts of teaching writing comes with peer editing. How do I effectively teach someone how to find errors, ask questions, and help peers strive to do their best? I don't necessarily have the answer to this, but I do know that we practice. Over and over, we will peer edit. Tedious? Yes. Important? Absolutely.

One of my key phrases for peer editing is "use your people." I tell students to find people that are going to help them. If I know that my sister is a grammar guru, then I will ask for her help with commas. If I know that my best friend is an excellent speller, then she becomes my personal spell checker. I want my students to recognize what people are going to help them become their best. 

This idea doesn't stop there. I believe it's a concept that can be taken outside of the classroom. If I have financial questions, I generally ask my dad. If I need someone to listen a personal issue, I call my friend that is a good listener. I choose my people. I use my people. 
 
The other night, I was having a conversation with someone. I found myself getting upset because she didn't seem to know much about the subject. I realized later that she wasn't the person I should have been talking to about the issue. I had chosen the wrong person. 

We don't have to have all the answers; however, we do need to know when it is time to reach out and use our people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment