Sunday, March 30, 2014

Living Through a Lens

Well hello there! It has been a LONG time... too long. I have had a lot of thoughts running through my mind, but haven't been able to put them into words. On top of that, I have been traveling a lot. I spent spring break in Indianapolis with great friends. The following weekend I was on a trip to Washington D.C. with a group of kids from school. This weekend, I directed our spring play. Needless to say, it's been busy. All of the experiences were extremely rewarding, leaving me feeling very blessed. My busyness will not stop there as we make our way through track season and the last quarter of the year... crazy to say!

As I traveled, I watched people taking pictures. Of course, I was right there with them, capturing moments, monuments, and scenes on my phone and with my camera. It was in the middle of doing so that I realized that I wasn't really even looking. I was only seeing the views through the lens of my camera. While doing so, I was missing out on life. I stood back to see my students with their iPhones in hand, discussing how much battery was left, and missing out on what they were actually taking pictures of. This was an observation that I have been thinking about ever since I returned home. Are we really seeing what is out there, or are we living through a lens?

Food for thought... Happy Sunday :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment