Thursday, June 19, 2014

A Few Observations

Over the past week, my body decided to shut down. It started with a lovely migraine that never seemed to end. After a few days of intense pain, I decided to make my way to urgent care. It just so happened that I had some sinus pressure that wanted to linger around. Luckily, after only one day of taking meds, I'm feeling much better. As the days passed, I was in and out of naps. I wanted to read; I wanted to write, but nothing was motivating me. The result? A few random observations that I'd like to share. 

1. Just because clothes are "in" doesn't mean they're "in" for everyone. (I told you this was going to be random.) I was reading one of those list articles online. You know, "27 Things I Wish I Knew by the Time I Was 27" or "The Top Ten Things Happy People Do." For some reason I'm a sucker for these. Anyway, one that I stubbled upon discussed how sometimes we just outgrow stores. As much as I love the outfits designed for 22-year-old girls prancing out of H&M, many of these styles aren't for me. I'll make my way to Express and Ann Taylor and be okay with it. 

2. Productivity doesn't define your day, but it helps. I hate feeling lazy, and when you're sick, that's just a part of the gig. Yesterday, I attempted to workout -- fail. Even walking up and down stairs was a task. So, I made my way to the couch to engross myself in Law and Order: SVU and Flip or Flop. It goes without saying that after a great kickboxing class this morning followed by school work, I was feeling like a real person again. While it's important to relax and regroup, productivity surely makes me feel a lot better.

3. Older people are full of wisdom. As I waited to get my prescriptions filled, I sat next to an older man and two college-aged girls that were looking after another girl with a disability. I messed around on my phone, occasionally smiled as the girls interacted, and patiently waited. The girls paid for the prescriptions and were on their way. The older man turned to me and said, "It makes you realize that our problems really aren't that big." I nodded and soaked in his words. Clearly, he was talking about the girl with the disability. While I was a little shocked at his observation, he was right. The problems that are happening in my life are not nearly as big as those of other people. It really left me thinking that we have a lot to be thankful for. 

You're welcome for the randomness. Off to continue my productivity (maybe). 

No comments:

Post a Comment