Monday, June 1, 2015

Only Half Crazy

This past weekend, I completed my first half marathon. Weeks ago, I was determined to follow a training scheduled that would ensure a successful race. I worked hard, and it paid off. My body was tested, but it was so worth it. I can't remember another time where I set and achieved a goal all on my own. As I pushed to the finish, tears fell down my face. I am proud of myself. It takes a strong person, both mentally and physically, to do what I've done.

Each mile I ran, I decided to dedicate to a person or group of people that have impacted my life. I spent that specific mile thinking about memories and praying. Here's a taste of my miles.

Mile 1: Grandma Earleen. I was in high school when she passed away, and it was extremely difficult. She was everyone's favorite, and the first person close to me to be taken away. I find peace knowing she's my guardian angel, guiding me as I grow into a strong woman. I hope to play Barbies with my kids and grandkids the same way she did with us. No matter what was going on, Grandma 'Leen gave it all up to spend time with us because we mattered to her.

Mile 2: My brother. Mike and I have always had a close bond because we're only two years apart in age. We've shared friends, night's out, funny stories, and even deep conversations. He may not always know how to go about talking to his sisters, but I know his heart is in the right place. No matter what, he's always going to be there for me; he'll always be my big brother. We continue to make memories, and I pray for him each day.

Mile 3: My students. Both past, present, and future, my students make me so happy. Yes, there are many challenges that come with being a teacher, but the rewards are so much greater. There are wonderful stories, frustrating moments, but at the end of the day, I want the best for each of them. They are my "kids," and I love them. I learn so much more from them than they'll ever know.

Mile 4: My best friend. Katherine is more than a best friend, she is my forever friend. We've known each other nearly our entire lives. We've been through everything together. We listen to each other and love unconditionally. Katherine knows what I need to hear before I can even think to ask. She's a fantastic runner and has helped encourage and guide me as a runner. I'm so thankful for our friendship. The many late nights, giggling, crying, and swapping of teacher stories belong to us, and I will forever hold them in my heart.

Mile 5: My college years. I made so many wonderful friends while at UNI. I have had amazing opportunities, and there have been many memories developed on and near that campus. They were some of the most difficult years of my life, and looking back, I'd have it no other way. I grew up in Cedar Falls, and the people that walked alongside me are so important.

Mile 6: My dad. There are so many things my dad has taught me -- more than a golf swing on the course or how to follow throw on the court. He's taught me about patience. Life doesn't hand us exactly what we want whenever we demand it. My dad is very patient with all of us. He knows when to speak up and help us and when to back off when we need to figure it out on our own. Most importantly, he's taught me about the importance of people and relationships. My dad keeps his friends for forever, he remembers the names of his students, and he makes people feel like they matter. He's touched so many lives through coaching and teacher. I only hope I can do the same.

Mile 7: Loved ones lost. A few very important family members have passed away in my lifetime: My cousin, Robby, Grandpa Bob, Grandma VR, and our dog, Molly. I was in college when my cousin died in a car accident. It was one of the hardest times of my life. He was a vibrant, sarcastic guy that is missed dearly. There is something missing at all of our family gatherings because we loved him so much. As I ran mile 7, they had flags to remember veterans, which was fitting because my Gpa Bob was a WWII vet. He was a man of little words, but we all felt loved when we visited him. My Gma VR loved shopping and was so creative. Most of my memories of her are in Von Maur or looking through her quilts. Lastly, Molly was the best dog ever. She was with us for 17 years, and we loved her so much (cue tears).

Mile 8: Grandpa VanRoekel. I have a pretty "special" relationship with my Gpa VR. I consider him to be an accountability buddy when it comes to my faith. He's helped me grow by answering questions, encouraging, but most importantly, by praying. While he has his quirks that some find hard to understand, he will always have a soft spot in my heart. I don't know what I'd do without him.

Mile 9: The people of Haiti. When I had the opportunity to go on a mission trip in Haiti, I had no idea how much impact it would have on me. It changed me, and I'll never be the same. God is so amazing, and He is working everywhere. The greatest lesson I learned in Haiti was that in the end, we all just want to be loved. We may speak different languages, come from different backgrounds, but when it comes down to it, loving and being kind is really all that matters.

Mile 10: My mom. At some point over the past few years, my mom became more than just a mom. She is my colleague for teacher talk, friend, accountability buddy, and prayer warrior. More than anything, she is my voice of reason and cheerleader. She has taught me about the importance of kindness. There isn't a day that goes by that she doesn't remind me that God is walking beside me and in front of me. My mom has always put us first. Her selflessness is what true love is all about.

Mile 11: My sister. I've always wanted to protect my sister from the "bad guys." Recently, I've realized that she's too old for that, and it's her turn to fight certain battles on her own. As a big sister, this is really hard. She is the most special person to me, my best friend. There really is no one that I want to see happier than Sarah. She is the most talented person I know, and I pray for her each day. She's our Goober and my Missy Boo. Plus, she's super funny.

Mile 12: Me and the strides I've made. By mile 12, I was dying. My feet hurt terribly, and the finish line couldn't come fast enough. But it was time to really reflect on all of my accomplishments. I am a teacher who loves my job. I worked hard to get to the school and position that I am in now. I am a runner. I am a friend, daughter, and sister. Most importantly, I realized that by accomplishing this half marathon, I can do anything.

Mile 13: Jesus Christ. I had to finish strong, and the only person who could get me through is my buddy, Jesus. I prayed...boy did I pray. God has placed some wonderful people in my life, but I'm most thankful for the relationship that I have with Him. Being a Christian has truly made me who I am. "I have fought the good fight, finished the race, and kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7

Until the next race...

No comments:

Post a Comment