Monday, April 14, 2014

Because It Matters

I have to start off by saying this post is not directed toward anyone in particular. Nor am I irritated or frustrated in any way. This is simply something that I have always felt strongly about :-)

Currently, I am coaching junior high girls track. I have really started to love it. Not only do I get to create workouts for the girls, but we are becoming a little family. When it comes to extra-curricular activities, it is important for kids to be involved in something. It doesn't matter if it's a club that meets once a month, a sports team that has two-a-days, or a youth group that meets after school. What matters is that kids are a part of something; they need to feel like they belong, that they matter. Why? Because not only do they matter, what they do matters.

What bothers me beyond words is when people "diss" a group or a certain kid that is involved in a group. "You guys don't do anything in track." "Golf isn't even a sport." "Only goodie-goods are in student council." "You know the kind of people that go out for the play." No... actually I don't. In fact, I don't understand at all what gives one person the right to knock down another person based on the activities he or she may participate in. These sports and clubs are important -- each one of them. Just because the school doesn't put a lot of money into a specific one doesn't make it any less important. It doesn't mean that they work those people put into that group matters any less. Why do I say this? Because it does matter. We all matter and so do the activities that we participate in. Everyone deserves to feel appreciated, and that is one of the best parts about being a part of a sport or club. People get together with a common interest and create lasting bonds and memories. It's a really neat part of life, and no one has the right to put anyone else down. Bottom line:



No comments:

Post a Comment