Sunday, April 13, 2014

But It's Simple

Last night I went with a friend to see "God's Not Dead." To be honest, I hadn't even heard of the movie until last Friday when a student suggested I see it. A quick movie synopsis: College freshman, Josh, is being forced to make an argument for the existence of God to a philosophy class taught by a stubborn atheist professor. As he takes on the challenge, stories of Christians weave together throughout the movie. It showcases how far some Christians have to go in order to defend their faith.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. There were times when it was a little over-the-top, but the message was straight-forward and touching. It really made me think about how I show my faith to those around me -- Am I a light? Also, would I go to the lengths that the main character did in order to defend what I believe in?

There was a part in the movie when Josh is make his decision on whether or not to accept this challenge. The answer he gets from his minister is far from complex, and Josh was expecting a little more guidance. The minister's answer: "It's not easy. But it's simple." Living out a Christian life is not meant to be hard; there are not a lot of hoops to jump through. In fact, it's rather simple if you ask me -- Love the way He loves me. Treat others with respect. Spread the word of God through words, but also through actions.

Don't complicate things.


No comments:

Post a Comment