Friday, April 18, 2014

What Easter Means to Me

When people ask what my favorite holiday is, I always answer, "Easter." I won't lie, I usually get a funny look. It takes a little bit of an explanation for them to understand -- or at least pretend to understand. Explaining the meaning of Easter exposes my faith, and this isn't always easy. In fact, it took years before I could be honest about my faith. Was I ashamed? Not at all. There are just some people that don't "get it." Faith and spirituality is not always an easy subject to discuss. Some people shut down, others get defensive, and many nod in appreciation. We are all on a different walk in our spiritual journey.

So, why is Easter my favorite holiday? Because it represents all things good about being a Christian. It showcases all that God stands for -- love. Yep, He gave His only son to wash away our sins because He LOVES us tremendously. Love.

There is also a freshness that comes along with Easter. It could be the springtime air, the smiles of those worshiping, or the budding flowers. We are washed clean of our sins by accepting Christ to guide our daily lives. Give us this day -- each day. Renewal.

There is someone dear to me that is struggling, without faith. This person is trying to do things alone. Let me tell you, alone is a very sad place to be. While I feel pretty helpless in the situation, I still pray. It's my only hope -- this person's only hope. Living for earthly things offers temporary rewards, but living for Christ allows us eternal life. Hope.

Easter is a time of celebrating the sacrifice God made for us because He loves us -- all of us. God sees all of our imperfections, but loves us anyway. He loves us more than we can ever imagine. This Easter, I challenge you to bathe in the greatness of Him. Love, renewal, hope -- this is what Easter means to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment