Saturday, June 22, 2013

Music Changes Things

I love music. I will listen to nearly anything, all of which depends on my mood. Yesterday I attended a funeral for a high school senior. It was one of those moments where, as a teacher, I couldn't help but think, "I didn't sign up for this." But at the same time, there is nowhere else that I would have rather been. Tragedies change families and communities, just as the music played seemed to change and move those in attendance.

Of course, music doesn't just assist in times of sadness. Can't you think back to a time when the music changed the entire situation? A school dance? An outdoor concert? That song on the radio that makes you smile? Music is the center of so many of my days, and, to be honest, I don't trust people that don't love music. It just isn't right.

When, where, & how music changes things:

1. Church. Recently, I heard someone say how the worship music lead him to church. I couldn't agree more. The lyrics sewn in with a harmonizing melody moves me to tears nearly each time I go to church. God's grace is forever present with the worship team, and they make it so real.

2. Country music in the summer. As soon as the weather changes, my radio is stuck on anything country. There is an innocence to the summer, a carefree attitude that overshadows any despairs. It makes you want to head to a bonfire with great friends and a few adult beverages. There are so many country songs that my brain directly ties to a hot summer night.

3. The club. Yep, I went there. But seriously, can you imagine going without good music? Not only is it way fun to let loose with friends, but highly entertaining. Tell me you have never overhead a girl scream, "Oh my gosh, I loooove this song!! Let's dance!" Shake it, girl!

4. Outdoor concerts. This is closely related to #2; however, it's worth setting apart. I grew up going to county fairs with great music, and I have so many memories of dirt blowing in the wind while singing along to the songs. Last summer, I saw Eric Church. It was a-ma-zing. He closed with "Springsteen" and as the crowd sang along, rain drops started to softly fall from the sky. It was almost surreal. I'll never forget that.

5. The peaks and valleys. There are those times when you are soaking up life, and music is alongside to pump up and add to the fullness of the moment. There are also those times when you are searching for comfort. Songs can speak to the heart, no matter what state it is in.

I feel like it would be appropriate for me to leave you with a song played at yesterday's funeral. While you may not know the meaning behind it, just enjoy it's goodness.


No comments:

Post a Comment