Saturday, September 21, 2013

Why I Love Iowa

While I was driving home yesterday, I realized I was tired of the radio. I flipped on an ESPN talk radio program and soaked in my drive. I was approaching my hometown, and as I met a Ford pickup, the driver flipped up his pointer finger. The infamous "farmer wave." I smiled and started thinking about all of the reasons why I love living in Iowa. Here are a few for you reading pleasure:

1. Farmer waves. As I said, there is just something about the fact that those farmers will wave at anyone. Why? Because in small town Iowa, you probably do know everyone. Boy do I love this. It really just makes you feel like you are home.

2. Jaywalking.... what's that? Enough said.

3. School pride. I really felt this last week when I was tailgating at the Hawkeye game. People show so much pride when it comes to "their team." Whether it is your high school football team or your college alma mater, there is something about wearing your team's colors proudly. It gives me goosebumps every time.

4. Fall harvest. The smells that begin as soon as summer fades into fall are crisp and refreshing. It's the time when you realize it has become sweatshirt weather. Seriously, this is the best time of year.

5. Corn on the cob. Yea, I went there. I realize this is very cliche, but seriously, have you ever had it? Get. In. My. Belly.

6. Getting lost in the landscape. Once you leave the city, it doesn't take much time before you are driving "in the middle of nowhere." There aren't people at every corner. You are simply able to enjoy your surroundings without the busyness of city streetlights and deadlines. There is something to be said about the slowness of small town Iowa.

7. Cowboy boots. Anyone can wear them anywhere. I'm the kind of person that only sports boots when they go with my outfit, but there are plenty of people that throw them on daily. While I will probably never do this, I love the fact that it is completely acceptable. Cowboy up!

8. Everyone is family. For the most part, people care. I don't know if this is something that can be found everywhere, but I surely feel it in Iowa. People are there to help out, and support systems are vast. It's a great feeling knowing that even when my biological family isn't around, there is someone nearby that cares.

Have a spectacular weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment