Monday, September 30, 2013

When I Thought I Knew Everything

I was reminded today how naive teenagers really can be. First off, I must explain that I truly believe kids are underestimated. They have a lot of really great thoughts and ideas that too often go unnoticed. Even though this is very true, they are still young and have a lot of learning to do.

In no way do I think I have it all figured out. In fact, the only thing certain is that I have a lot of figuring out to do. One thing is for sure - I am much smarter than when I was a teenager.

Sometimes I just sit back and listen to kids. I am often surprised by their bluntness and.... to be honest, lack of filter. I chuckle to myself when they talk about going to college and all the things they "will never do." I especially find humor when kids have specific ages for when life events are "supposed to happen." You know what I'm talking about... "I'll graduate by 22, get married at 24, and by the age of 27, I'll be having my second child." Good luck???

For those that it has worked out according to plan, more power to ya! But, I have a feeling that, more often than not, this is not the case. Part of me is a little jealous of the naive attitude of kids. Many of them have no idea that their plans could take a different direction. As much as I want to explain to them the uncertainties and unplanned aspects of life, I know better than to rob them of their innocence.

Thinking back to when I thought I knew everything can be entertaining; however, then I remember all of the awkward moments, confusion, and even heartache that comes along with the delicate age. Each part of life is filled with learning. No matter what age we are, no matter where we are at in life, we are always moving forward. We are always making memories and gaining knowledge to help us become better people. I am glad that I was reminded that every age is precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment