Saturday, October 5, 2013

Words

I am a words person. I hang on each word; I analyze each phrase. It's really a blessing and a curse. Maybe this is because I am an English teacher, but I believe it's due more to my writing. The construction of a poem, the diction in a short story. The words are delicately placed where the author intends them. They dance across the page suggesting meaning.

My love of words goes beyond my reading and writing. I reflect on conversations, analyzing the words that someone said to me. I remember text messages and emails. I make it a point to express my feelings and share my ideas with others; therefore, it's important to me when others do the same. I listen to their words.

Have you ever looked back and wish you hadn't said something? That's a silly question because we have all been there. We have all exchanged unkind words, said hurtful phrases, and participated in regretful conversations. We all have moments that we replay in our minds, remembering them like yesterday. While this is totally normal, it's also not helpful to live in those moments, those words.

I think about the power of words quite frequently, especially at school. People are so impressionable, and I want to make sure the words that I share are constructive and productive. There are times when my words need to be comforting. When I comment on a paper I've graded or when I talk to my mom on the phone, my words matter... and so do yours.



Be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment