Friday, October 18, 2013

Nothing Special

What a week. I've been battling a cold for nearly two weeks, so today I decided it was time to go to the doctor. I was kind of bummed because tonight was our last home football game, but I realize the importance of taking care of myself. It turned out to be a necessary visit. I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend, so I can go back to school next week full force.

I've had way too much time to think over the past week (I spent two days home). It's hard not to get down and throw a pity party, but you get to the point where you're just ready to feel like yourself again. Anyway, my saving graces this week have been my sister, my students, and a few kind words from friends.

My sister knows how to make me laugh. Yesterday, she had me in tears as we chatted on the phone. There are so many inside jokes between the two of us. Aside from her silly side, she also has a way to comfort me. She is often able to put things into perspective. Sometimes you just need someone to wake you up, and that is one thing my sister does for me.

My students unknowingly uplifted me this week. When you are away from the classroom, they tend to appreciate you a little more. I could sense this when I returned after being gone. There are other times when I just think about something they said or did, and I am instantly smiling. I guess I'm lucky to have such a rewarding profession.

I have a lot of really great friends. For this, I am extremely blessed. This week, along with every other time, they reached out when I was feeling low. They encouraged and listened. I really couldn't ask for much more.

This post was really nothing special, but sometimes it just feels good to write a little. I hope my creative juices return when all of the drainage leaves my head ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment