Saturday, November 9, 2013

Zapped vs. Slow Cooking

Last spring, I took the Alpha course at my church. It was a really great experience that allowed me to grow in my faith and learn more about the Holy Spirit. During one of our small group chats, our leader spoke about how people come to faith. He used the analogy that some people have "microwave moments" that zap them; there is a "moment" that transforms them. For others, it's more of a process -- like a slow cooker. Interesting, huh?

Yesterday, I started thinking about this analogy in terms of learning. (As a teacher, there are not many things that don't turn into lessons.) Some people learn quickly, as if they were zapped by the learning microwave (maybe I should invest in one of those). Others learn slowly. They are a Sunday roast that has to simmer and warm up before poking it with a fork. If you take it out too soon, it will be tough and unappetizing. But when you wait for the right moment, it's perfect.

Many -- if not all -- education classes talk about differentiation. Teachers are expected, with good reason, to adapt our teaching styles to meet the needs of our students. While this makes a lot of sense, it is very complicated. I prep for four different courses in each day... now throw on the needs of nearly 150 different students. Can you see where the complications come in? I am not complaining, but rather painting you a picture. What I have realized is that the most important element of differentiated teaching is knowing my students. After all, if I don't know my students, how will I ensure that my teaching is intersecting with their learning?

So, what's better? Microwave or slow-cooker learning? Like most things, it depends upon the student. Consider this: You are on a flight crossing from America into Canada. If you sleep through the flight or if you are wide awake throughout the whole trip, don't you still land in Canada? Yep, you sure do. It doesn't matter the means of how you got there, only that you did. Learning is the same way. As a teacher, I care less about how students get there and more on the fact that they did.

While learning is complex, it is also absolutely amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment