Sunday, August 3, 2014

A Part of Something Beautiful

Yesterday, the school that I've taught at for the last two years won the state baseball championship. It was a very special moment for the boys, coaches, school, and communities. It was special for many reasons. The team finished a perfect season (36-0) on a perfect summer day at Principal Park. The crowd sported blue and white and shouted as the boys battled for the title they've been dreaming of all season. Last summer, one of their teammates was killed in a car accident. They vowed to be the first team in the school's history to win state in his honor while his twin brother wore his number proudly. As the team celebrated on the field, it was hard not to get a little choked up. So awesome. I was so happy to be a part of something so beautiful.

I'm sure the boys are still pinching themselves this morning. As their teacher for the last two years, I couldn't be more proud. Not just of the boys, but the fans from communities all around. People believed in the boys, and they proved everyone right. They worked hard, showed character on and off the field -- something that is hard to find. With the help of an amazing coaching staff, they were able to build a talented team that will never be replaced. Something beautiful.

This morning, I realized it's all bittersweet. While the people at my old school are still celebrating, I've realized that was my "last" with that district. Will I go back? Who knows. Will I keep in contact with teachers and students? Probably. This week I begin a new journey at a new district. I am anxious to begin but also feeling a little nervous. I'm thankful for being a part of something so beautiful yesterday, and I'm looking forward to building those moments in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment