Friday, August 8, 2014

Teacher Goals

With the first day of school only days away, I've been thinking about growth and goal-setting. It's common for teachers to ask students to set goals for the year, but I started wondering if teachers are doing the same thing. Personally, I have ideas floating around in my head, but I don't think I've ever written them down. I have high hopes for the year. I feel stronger and more confident in my teaching abilities, and I hope that shows as I step into the classroom.

In many ways, I'm starting fresh -- new district, new classes, new students, new faculty. All of the "newness" is a little overwhelming, but it's also refreshing. I know the areas that I need to improve as a teacher. It's up to me to set goals, and more importantly, become a stronger teacher. 

So, what do I want for this year? 

-- A Rigorous Classroom. This begins with knowing content inside and out. It takes work, but it's important to feel as though I have mastery in my field in order to expect my students to grasp what I am teaching. This will probably be my biggest challenge because the English/Language Arts field is vast. 

-- To Help Students Find a Voice. I always talk about giving students a chance to tell their story, but it's more than that. By telling their stories, they are able to find a voice. They are given a chance to figure out who they are and who they want to become. 

-- To Build Relationships. I want my students to feel comfortable and safe in my classroom. I realize as a teacher, I am more than the person that grades their papers. I am a mentor, which is both exciting and scary. It's always been my favorite part of teaching; however, there is a lot of pressure holding the title of "teacher."

-- To Inspire. I love learning and have a thirst to find out more. I want to inspire my students to feel the same way. I want them to get excited about learning (a tall order to fill -- especially at the secondary level). 

-- To Balance School and Personal Life. I didn't do a very good job of this last year. I need to be a teacher, but I also need to be a person. I deserve to build relationships outside of school. I need a better balance, and I'm hoping my location allows for this. 

That seems like a lot, but I'm motivated. With a lot of prayers and a good attitude, I believe this is possible. Happy weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment