Friday, August 1, 2014

Author Reading

My sister and I attended our first "Author Reading" at a local book store. The author, Heather Gudenkauf, has been one of my favorites for quite a while. As an Iowa native, her stories evolve in small towns around the state. Not only are her novels captivating, she has a way of making me feel like the characters are my best friends. When reading her novels, I find myself in a constant struggle between wanting to savor the words and needing to know the ending. Needless to say, I completed her most recent book in one day. I just couldn't stop. 

Just like her novels, I was captivated by her words as she spoke freely about her background as a reader and writer. I felt like I could really connect with her. She is an educator and discussed the importance of teaching kids to love to read. Having books of all genres at their disposal can make a huge difference. Being a reader is imperative in order to be a writer. 

She also talked about the writing process and characterization. She develops characters first -- it's almost as if they become real people to her. Then, the story follows. I found this information both interesting and helpful. I am excited to take this into the classroom as I teach Creative Writing in just a few weeks. 

It was a great experience to attend an "Author Reading." I would encourage anyone to find time to do so. It's given me a creative boost as I head into a new school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment