Saturday, September 6, 2014

One Step at a Time

Maybe it's the football or the fact that I'm wearing a sweatshirt, but it's finally feeling like fall! While today is a Saturday, it started off much like any other school day. We had a volleyball tournament, and the bus arrived sharply at 7:30. The girls were bubbly and ready to go, and it was looking to be a good day. 

It didn't take long into our first match that realized we had our work cut out for us. Today was only the third time we've suited up this season. The teams we played against were tough. As freshmen and sophomores, they are learning to do some adjusting. Not only did it take time to get used to a new coach, but many of them had never played together before. For the freshmen, adjusting to high school sports can also be a challenge. Overall, they have done a great job, and I am proud of them. It just takes time.

As we road home on the bus, I started thinking about time. I feel like I have been teaching for weeks, but it's only been twelve days. I can't believe how much we have gotten done already! Obviously, this is a good feeling, but every once in a while I get frustrated because something isn't where I want it to be. I wish I knew all the teachers better; I wish I knew which kids were related to others. That's when I have to remind myself that things take time. It takes time to "fit in." I'm not going to know everything this early on. Many of the other teachers have been at my district for nearly ten years or more. They have made connections, and they once were in my shoes. 

In many ways, my fresh/soph team and I are a lot alike. We are all learning. We are all realizing that things take time, and that's okay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment