Friday, September 26, 2014

Power of Patience

Man, this week has been crazy! I love being busy and feeling like I have a purpose. Being an organized person makes weeks like this much more bearable. However, it doesn't always matter if you're organized because some things are just out of our control. I can have post-it notes telling me what's next in my schedule or neatly printed out lesson plans; sometimes it just doesn't go as planned.

Last summer, I found a couch that not only fits my style, but will look great in my place. The arrival of this couch has been in the back of my mind since I purchased it (in July). It was scheduled to be delivered mid-September. You guessed it; it's not here yet. I received a call telling me that there was an issue with the manufacturer and it wouldn't be in my living room until November. While I felt discouraged and bummed out, I knew that it was out of my control. Not only that, but it was out of control of the person on the other end of the phone. They could sense my disappointment and thanked me for being understanding. Because I didn't yell, kick, and scream, they sent me a gift certificate in the mail (very minimal, but yea, it's something). :-)

Just today, I was excited to get school work done during my planning period, run a few errands after school, and go to the football game this evening. Yesterday was payday, and something went wrong with my deposit. I've been looking forward to receiving this paycheck because it's the first one at my new school (and significantly higher). After an afternoon of shuffling around along with calls and emails to my HR person, I had a check in my hands. I wasn't able to get my school work done, but it all got figured out. This change of plans made me think a lot about being patient. It would not have been the end of the world if this didn't get figured out today. Am I thankful it did? Absolutely. I recognized that things were going to work themselves out. It didn't matter if I threw a fit or if I took it step-by-step; therefore, why not be the understanding one and trust that it would all work out?

I'm not sharing this with you to shed a good light on myself, but rather to think about patience and understanding. Evaluating a situation's significance, and how do I say it? .... taking a 'chill pill,' things will all work out. Yes, that's the power of patience.

Off to cheer on the Golden Hawks!

No comments:

Post a Comment