Monday, July 28, 2014

Coming-of-Age

In English class, we discuss characterization. The two main types of characters are dynamic vs. static. A dynamic character undergoes major changes throughout a story. Think of characters in a great coming-of-age novel (Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird or Gene from A Separate Peace). These characters learned something; they changed in one way or another. On the contrary, a static character doesn't necessarily make any significant changes. Of course, this person adds to the story, but a big change in his or her storyline is rare.

Why the literature lesson? Well, I have been thinking a great deal about change. A lot of "characters" in my life have been going through significant changes this past summer. None of them are bad, but different. I view them as dynamic characters. Other people in my life have endured little change (my "static characters"). Does that make them less important? Absolutely not. It takes all characters to make up a story.

The coolest thing about viewing all these changes by way of coming-of-age novel is that it leads me to believe that we will be learning something soon. Those of us that are making significant changes will soon be on the other side of it all; we will be able to make sense of all the madness.

I must say, I would rather be in a coming-of-age novel than a dystopian novel where we walk around a deserted island eating pigs and losing our minds (aka The Lord of the Flies), wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment