Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Expectations

I've always been told to set high expectations. Whether it be for myself or my students, I should set the bar high. However, recently I've been wondering where these expectations come from. Who says that a particular expectation is high enough or if it falls short? I suppose in the classroom, there are regulations set by the state (yes, the infamous Iowa Core Curriculum). But even then, the expectations are really in the hands of the teacher. Each teacher has a different "feel" for his or her classroom, and students quickly realize what is going to be expected of them.

On the contrary, our personal lives are much more liberal when it comes to expectations. Society generally dictates what, when, and how things should look in our lives. There is a constant struggle between fitting the mold and becoming an individual. We strive to fit in, no matter where we are in life. People act like cliques are reserved for junior high and high school when the truth is that they last our entire life. I'm expected to look professional at school. Even if I believed that mohawks were really cool, I couldn't take a razor to my hair the day before classes. Why? Because it's inappropriate. Says who? Well... almost everyone. But in all seriousness, these expectations are set at a specific level, and we conform.

Now, do I think expectations are bogus? Absolutely not. I think they are realistic, and without them, we would have chaos. Once again, it's all about balance and finding what's right for you.

P.S. I kind of feel like my writing and ideas are all over the place on this post. Sorry if this makes sense to only me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment