Monday, July 7, 2014

Where You Belong

What does it mean to be home? Just last week I was moving to a new location, preparing to make a new space my home. It didn't take long before my things were placed neatly throughout my new apartment. While there are quite a few things I still would like to do, each day I feel a little bit more comfortable calling this place my home.

Recently, tornados made their way through communities in the midwest. I was watching the news as they interviewed tornado victims. Many of their homes were a total loss while various items were thrown about the area. Tears were shed, but they made the point that what really mattered in life was more than the things that made up their homes. It got me thinking about what makes a home a home.

I thought about all of the places I've lived throughout my life. For the most part, my parent's house in my hometown was always where I called home. I lived in dorms and apartments throughout college, then moved into my own apartments as I started teaching. I have always liked decorating and creating looks that are functional and cute. As I grow older, I find myself enjoying the comforts of home even more. I like the cleanliness and comfort of having my own space, but I think home is more than having a bedroom set and your own kitchen appliances from Pampered Chef.

Home is a combination of feelings. Home is lounging in an oversized sweatshirt and watching football on a cool Saturday morning. Home is a long shower after a sweaty run. Home is the smell of spicy chili in the crock-pot as you walk in after a long day. Home is eight hours of sleep in a cozy bed. Home is the feeling of safety and comfort. Home is wherever you make it. Home is where you belong.



No comments:

Post a Comment