Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Wind Beneath My Wings

Today is my mom's birthday! While I'm not (physically) with her today, I am throwing confetti around (figuratively) in her honor :-)

One of my favorite memories with my mom happened when I was a little girl. Her and I were sitting on the couch watching Beaches with Bette Midler. If you've ever seen the film, you know there is a point when "Wind Beneath My Wings" comes on and the waterworks begin to fall. It's truly inevitable. My mom told me that she looked over at my four-year-old self, and I was crying. She has since made the remark that she didn't realize a little girl could cry like that while watching a movie. That song, that movie belong to my mom and me.

The lyrics of that song speak much to the relationship between a mother and her daughter. Because my mom has lived longer than me, she walks a step behind as I make and learn from various mistakes. She knows just when to step in and say, "Be patient. God's got this, Anna." As we've aged, our relationship has sailed to a new level. We have our fair share of "teacher talk," and she is my accountability buddy in my faith. She is my friend. She carries my siblings and me throughout our lives, celebrating our victories and comforting our struggles. My mom is the wind beneath my wings. I love you, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment