Friday, November 21, 2014

Those Relationships for Those Kids

I was reminded again this week of the importance of relationships. More importantly, I was forced to take a step back and listen. In the weeks before an anticipated break, it’s easy to become tired - physically, mentally, and emotionally. Kids get a little testy, and it’s difficult to not respond in the same manner. 

Every teacher knows that each year there are at least one or two of “those kids.” The kids that get under our skin - in both good and bad ways. They make you mad, sad, irritated, proud, but most of all, they challenge you. As a teacher, the issues they face, you do too. We take it home with us, wrestling with new ideas to make the situation better. 

This week, I was working with one of “those kids.” Failing grades, a less-than-desireable attitude, and swear words to top it all off. I know he has the ability to be great. While the odds are against in for more than one reason, he has the skills and knowledge. More than once this week, I sat down with him. We talked about grades, attitude, but mostly, I just listened. I’m not sure anyone ever does that, and I wanted him to know that I care. I told him that he mattered and I wanted him to succeed -- in school, but mostly, in life. We’ve gone round and round this school year. Sometimes I think it’s working, and then I get frustrated again. It’s hard work, but I keep on because I expect him to do the same. At the end of the day when my hair is flat, feet are pounding, and brain is fried, I won’t give up on him. I won’t throw him in the “helpless” pile. 


Today we worked on another assignment together. He got it done and turned in to his teacher. While there may have been some choice words along the way, it’s one more assignment down. I’m thankful that he will work for me, and I’m glad to continue building this relationship. As he walked out the door this afternoon, he said, “Have a great weekend, Nelson.” Yep, we’re getting somewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment