Thursday, November 27, 2014

What Thanksgiving Means to Me

Happy Thanksgiving! While it's true for every holiday, this day means something different to each of us. We all have different memories connected to Thanksgiving. Whether it means putting together a backyard football team, a house full of screaming kids, or your grandma's famous pecan pie, our memories are equally special.

I am not a person that invites a lot of chaos into my life. I'm not very good with "flying by the seat of my pants." This can be difficult on days like Thanksgiving because flexibility is a must. People are coming and going, conversations are constantly flowing, and the food is everywhere. In many ways, the whole day leaves me feeling a little bit anxious; however, this anxiety is soon cancelled out by the joy my family brings me. What I love the most about Thanksgiving is the laughter. Sarcasm is the vehicle in our family, and laughter is the tool that drives it. That's how we interact, and I would have it no other way.

The days leading up to Thanksgiving, I spent time reading various quotes and verses bathed in ideas of giving thanks. A common theme was to give thanks for all things.  You may be thinking, "duh!" But, do we really do that? Are we thankful for the times when life didn't go our way? There are aspects of my life that I struggle with; am I supposed to be thankful for these battles? The answer is simple: Yes.

It's important to be thankful for everything. Those battles we fight make us who we are. The scars we carry tell the story of our past and lead us into the future. 

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment