Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pep Talk

Monday left me feeling discouraged and lacking confidence. I felt like I was being tested, and I was unable to really figure out how to address the situations that were presented to me. Luckily, I have a lot of wonderful and supportive co-workers, family, and friends. I was offered advice that boosted my confidence. 

Every once it a while there are a few things that I need to remind myself:

1. I am qualified and know what I am doing. It's almost as if I start believe that my students are smarter than me. Yes, many of them are very bright; however, I am the certified teacher.  During my student teaching, I had a mentor tell me to never forget that I am a smart, trained professional. 

2. It is my classroom. There are a lot of different ways to do things. I respect what other teachers do in their own classrooms; however, that doesn't mean it will work for me. I am in charge of what I teach. Yes, there are certain standards that I must meet, but I am able to teach them in a way that makes me feel comfortable. 

3. Each student matters. It is so easy to teach to studious students. I was reminded today that a monkey can teach those students; however, reaching the more challenged students is where the work resides. "We do not get to pick and choose our students." No matter the background or academic capability of a student, they deserve my best. 

"You've gotta take the students that the school gives you and do the best you can."  

The short pep talks I have heard over the past few days are enough to motivate me... at least until the weekend :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment