Saturday, October 20, 2012

The "Issues"

This past week I sent in my application to receive my absentee ballot (better late then never?) I have always believed that it is my civic duty to voice my opinion in elections. I had a teacher in high school that told us, "Always recycle and vote." We would all kind of laughed about it; however, we all knew she was serious... and right.

I was asking my senior students (those that are 18, of course) if they were planning on voting in the upcoming election. While there were few that plan on participating, many of them pulled out the worn-out excuses: "I don't like either of the candidates." "I don't know enough about what is going on to vote." "What's the point? My vote doesn't matter."

I started to become discouraged when I remembered that I used to say the same things. I used to believe that my voice didn't matter. While I am only one person, I am still a part of the American population. It is important that I utilize my right.

Yes, politics are confusing. No, I do not fully understand the terminology and issues that are discussed. To be honest, much of it doesn't really interest me. This does not mean that I am a shallow person, only that I am not engulfed in the technicalities of the upcoming election.

With that said, I am informed on the issues that matter to me. I know that foreign policy effects me; however, I am more directly touched by issues of education. I have researched where each candidate stands when it comes to No Child Left Behind, vouchers, and standardized testing. I am interested in lowing student loans and other aspects of higher education. These issues matter most to me, so I do my best to read and study to know that I am making the right decision in the voting booth for me and my future.

I guess my point is, get informed. You don't have to be an expert, but it is your duty and right to have an opinion and vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment