Monday, October 15, 2012

Twenty-Something

I celebrated my 27th birthday this past weekend. To be honest, I have mixed feelings about my age. Every once in a while I get a little anxious about growing older. It has taken me a bit longer than expected to "come in to my own." It may be hard to believe, but going back to school and the transitioning that came along with it was not my initial plan. Yes, I still wrestle with regret and heartache. Upon reflection, there are still times that haunt me. I comfort myself by remembering that it has all helped shape and strengthen me.

I am still learning to stand on my own two feet. I realize now, more than ever, that I needed to weather a storm or two in order to fully appreciate my self-worth. There are very few things that I take for granted. With each struggle that presents itself, I am confident that I will be able to tackle the situation with grace and optimism.

I ran across an article titled "20 Things That Will Make Your 20s Even Better." Y'all know me... I clicked, and instantly I was scrolling and nodding my head. Here are a few of my favorites:

* Acknowledge moments of happiness and be grateful for them.
* Make a point to spend more time with your friends and family in person.
* Don't let your mood or your self-worth be directly tied to your bank account balance. Money is important, but it is not everything.
* Never forget that while you are getting older, your parents are too. Spend time with them and always say, "I love you."
* Get a library card and use it. Time spent nourishing your mind and soul is never wasted time.
* Find an activity you love to do that is good for your body.
* Educate yourself in politics. You don't need to be an expert if you don't want to, but you should know how you feel about big issues.
* Don't be scared to fall in love, but remember to fall in love with yourself first.
* Walk away from relationships where you are treated like an option and not a priority.
* Always be kinder than you feel like being. You never know what other people are going through.
* Let go of the need to rush through life When we are young, all we want is to be older. Pretty soon, we're going to be wishing to be young again.

Just what I needed to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment