Sunday, November 18, 2012

Check Yourself

I've had a very low key weekend. I spent my Saturday watching football, grading papers, and cleaning. My Composition class turned in Persuasive Papers this past week. They spent nearly two weeks on them, so I wanted to make sure that I did my part to respond thoroughly. While it is a tedious job, I generally don't mind. It's interesting to see the ability levels and gage where they are as writers. It's not shocking to see that the students who asked questions understood the assignment and received better grades. Funny how that works out. 

Of course, I had plenty of time to surf around online yesterday too. I ran across 12 Things Happy People Do Differently. Why do I always find myself reading these random articles? At any rate, I thought it would be good share. I found myself doing a mental checklist. What would happen if more people focused on these ideas?

#1 Express gratitude. Well folks, with Thanksgiving just around the corner, now is the perfect time to share appreciation.

#2 Cultivate optimism. Have you ever tried simply smiling periodically throughout the day? Stop and think positive.

#3 Avoid over-thinking and social comparison. When your mind starts to wander to these thoughts, direct it back to something positive. 

#4 Practice acts of kindness. This can be so simple. Do it.

#5 Nurture social relationship. Friendships are important and worth the upkeep.

#6 Develop coping strategies. Have a plan set in place, so you are ready for anything life throws at you.

#7 Learn to forgive. Grudges and hate are ugly. Stay away.

#8 Increase flow experiences. This is when you learn to focus on the task at hand. It's important to shy away from distractions. Focus and be one with what is in front of you.

#9 Savor life's joys. Stop and soak them in.

#10 Commit yourself to your goals. "Magical things start happening when we commit ourselves to whatever it takes to get us somewhere." 

#11 Practice spirituality. Without Him, we have nothing.

#12 Take care of your body. This is the base for happiness and productivity. 

Have a happy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment