Friday, November 16, 2012

Ohana

Growing up I never felt like I was extremely close with my family. Of course we loved one another very much, but I had a hard time opening up to my parents and my brother. My sister is eight years younger than me, so I often sheltered her from certain life experiences. There were times that we distanced ourselves from one another, mostly due to personal issues; however, somewhere along the way, we have become closer than ever. 

I had a conversation today with someone that looked tired and mentioned repeated sleepless nights. I asked, trying not to pry, what was going on. The answer was simple: "family stuff." Haven't we all been there? Family is such a complex unit. They are the people that we turn to in the midst of hardships, contentment, anxiety, and the list goes on. My family members are the easiest to yell at, the first people I call with good news, and the ones I will forever turn to for help. 

Earlier this week, my sister texted me about how wonderful our parents are. With all of the struggles happening in my life, I was 100% in agreement with her statement. I'm sure my parents would fall to the floor if she shared this with them, but in time she will. I was so happy to see her adjusting and appreciating how fortunate our family truly is. 

As the holidays approach, family becomes the center of so many people's lives. Traditions are shared. Memories are made. It also tends to be a time of hurt and loneliness. I hope that during these low times, we all remember how fortunate we really are. 

In the movie Lilo and Stitch, the repeated quote is: "Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind." Now, who could say it any better than that? 


No comments:

Post a Comment