Monday, August 12, 2013

Build Those Muscles

Recently I have started a new weight lifting program. I have jumped on board with the "Strong is the New Skinny" movement. It really is quite empowering to build muscles. There are meal plans and other tips that comes along with the program. As the school year begins this week, I think it will much easier to follow. I have really missed having a routine.

While I am very interesting in fitness and exercise, physical muscles are not what I intend to blog about today. I was unable to make it to church yesterday morning, so I listened to a podcast of a sermon from my former church. It's kind of funny when I do that because I catch myself nodding along as I run along the streets. (I am totally that kid in class that nods so that the teacher knows someone gets it). At any rate, I was very touched by the message.

The minister spoke about the cycle that Christians often go through on their faith journeys. As humans, it's easy to want to lose faith when bad things happen. We start questioning God. How could He let this happen? How does He let good things happen to good people? These questions don't make us any less Christian. In fact, they only draw us closer to Him. That questioning is a part of cycle, and it is necessary to make us stronger. The minister called this cycle 'The Slinky Effect.' Pretty scientific, huh? Ha... that's what I love about it. This idea is real. 

"Faith is like a muscle. You have to use it in order for it to become stronger." If you stay in one spot, you will continue to be there. You need to stretch and exercise your faith just as you do your muscles. Pretty cool analogy, huh? I am still letting it all sink in this morning. It's funny though. I feel like it was exactly what I needed to hear yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment