Friday, August 9, 2013

Forever Friend

This morning I can't stop thinking about my sister, Sarah. Yesterday she wrapped up a summer as a camp counselor. It couldn't have been more perfect for her. She has a huge heart and a wonderful way of reaching out to kids. As the summer closes, I'm sure she has many bittersweet feelings as she starts to think about her sophomore year of college.

I have spoken to more than one person this week about conflicts with siblings. It's funny because I don't really remember having huge issues with my brother or my sister. Obviously, my brother and I had quite a few spats growing up because he is just two years older than me. As for my sister, who is eight years younger, I can't think of any major fights. I know we have yelled at each other, but nothing has caused us to hold grudges or go for long periods of time without speaking. We are pretty good about respecting each other and talking through any problems that may occur.

There are many things I love about my sister. She is creative and whitty. There is something that is very contagious about her. More than anything, when I am with her, it feels like home. She's my little Missy Boo, and I am forever grateful for our friendship.

There is a saying that talks about how you don't get to choose your family. While this is true, in many respects I would choose mine all over again. As we get older, it is even more fun to be together. Yes, we argue, but that is cancelled out by our laughter.

I pray for my sister as she tackles her next adventure. I know she'll be great. She's a fighter and much stronger than she would ever admit. I'm excited to see where this year takes my forever friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment