Thursday, May 29, 2014

Closing a (Long) Chapter

This year both of my parents decided it was time to retire from years of teaching. As the school year progressed, it was easy to tell it was time. Don't get me wrong, they didn't get crabby or negative, but they just seemed a little bit more "ready." I'm excited for both of them as they begin this next chapter in their lives (sorry for the cliche).

It's fun listening to their stories of how they began, the transitions they've made, and the student lives they've touched. We've had many "teacher talks" swapping stories about kids, discussing lesson plans, and comparing differences in the education systems. All of which has been very rewarding for all of us.

Some of my favorite conversations with my parents have been about their students. The stories that they (mostly my dad -- he's very good at story-telling) tell are sometimes laugh-out-loud funny while others could move you to tears. All of these stories are written in the books of their teaching careers.

Here are some "nuggets" I've learned from them in regards to teaching:

1. "Kids are kids." This is Dad's signature line, and the truth is, he's so right. It doesn't matter where they came from, what their life story is, or what they look like, deep down, kids are kids. They all want and need the same thing, which leads me to #2.

2. "Care for all the kids." This would be Mom's signature line. She is an advocate for loving the snot out of those kids (even when there is snot running down their noses). The bottom line is that kids want to be loved; they want to be listened to and respected. Some of them only get this at school, making it the most important part of a teacher's job.

3. "One day (class period) at a time." I'm not sure where this one comes from, but it has a lot of value. It's easy to fret about lessons for next week and worry about after-school obligations, but that will all take care of itself. Take time with each student, each class period, each day. They deserve your attention, especially if you expect it from them.

4. "Slow down and listen." This is my dad's personality to a T. He doesn't rush, and he always listens. However, my mom runs on a different speed, sometimes working herself up about unnecessary things. But, when it comes to the classroom, she knows when to slow down. In fact, they both do. If a student doesn't get it, Mom stops, slows down, and ensure he or she does. Dad listens to each kid or person that comes in his door. Slowing down and listening are so important in the teaching profession. It's one more way to put a child's interest before our own.

I'm not sure what my parents will do with their free time, but I'm sure they'll figure it out. I'm very proud of them as they close this seemingly long chapter of their lives. They are both wonderful teachers to look up to. Thanks to you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment