Sunday, May 18, 2014

Nearing the End

Congratulations Class of 2014! As I drove home after the ceremony, I couldn't help but smile when I thought about the kids. The seniors this year were enjoyable for many reasons. Their personalities were vibrant and contagious. While they did test my limits, I looked forward to seeing them each day.

The ceremony itself was perfect. It was the right mixture of tears and laughter. I couldn't be more proud of the kids. I am excited for them as they begin the next part of their journeys.

It started to hit me that this is my last week at my first school. It's been a crazy couple of years full of learning, stress, and laughter. I've grown so much as a teacher and person. Many times I think I learned more from my students than they did from me. With that said, I am ready to move on; there are things that I won't miss. But, there are some things that I will miss. Mostly, I will miss the kids. We have built great relationships -- we've shared stories, learned about each other. My only conclusion is that they are wonderful teenagers that will soon develop into young adults. I am excited for all of them, and I truly hope they stay in touch. 

I started to really think about my growth, and I can honestly say that I am proud of myself. There were times when it was tough. There were sleepless nights, stressful class periods, ornery teenagers, and days when I questioned what I was doing. But for the most part, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at this school. It's been a time for me to gain confidence in the classroom. I'm no longer scared of teenagers... well, for the most part ;-) More than anything, I learned how important it is to care for others. I've learned how listening to kids makes the biggest difference. When it comes down to it, we all just want to be loved. That's what I did... everyday. I loved and cared for these kids (even when it was hard to), and I will continue to do that. Next year, I will have a whole new group of kids to care about, but I will always have a very special place in my heart for this school. 

We are nearing the end; this week is my last week. I'm not really even sure how I feel at this point. I am just going to take each day as it comes. I am going to love and enjoy each moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment