Thursday, September 20, 2012

Happy vs. Broken Heart

The other day, I heard a debate about whether or not college is worth the investment. With the amount of debt that students are left with, many argue that it is too much of a financial burden. While I am all for higher education, it did get me thinking about college curriculum and how prepared students leave after graduation. I am a HUGE advocate for many types of education. The liberal arts core, partnered with major courses, stretch the minds of students; they are the basic foundation for all of the learning that will continue throughout life. As a college student, I not only grew in my education, but this was the most important time for me to develop as a person. I learned how to respect others, the importance of healthy relationships, and matured in my faith and morals.

On the contrary, I do remember taking courses and thinking, "How is this going to make me a better teacher?" The aspects of teaching that scared me the most could not be taught in a 3 hour college course. Even during student teaching, I was unable to really piece it all together. Classroom management, dealing with parents, grading, and building relationships with students were things that I had to learn (and will continue to learn) in my own classroom. Professors, administrators, teachers, and even friends can tell you about teaching, but you simply have to figure it out according to your own experiences.

I have found this to be very true over the past month and a half. I remember teacher friends telling me about struggles - problem students, upsetting grades; however, this really didn't hit me until recently. They say you can't take the lives of your students home with you, but it is impossible. My rides home are generally filled with one of two feelings: a happy heart or a broken heart. So many wonderful teachable moments are occurring each day - lessons go off without a hitch, kids make me laugh with their goofy sayings, or I am overly impressed with an essay. But what really weighs on me is learning about the home-life of some students. There are so many people that are much less fortunate that me. I am beginning to learn that it is not my fault, so it doesn't help to feel bad for them. The only thing I can do is make that person feel important for the 42 minutes they sit in my classroom. A safe environment is what I have control over, and it is what I will strive for each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment