Saturday, September 8, 2012

Homecoming Hangover

No, I haven't woken up this morning with a pounding headache due to an excess of seasonal beer and flavored rum. I don't feel woosey or light-headed. After all of the Homecoming festivities, I am simply tired.

This week, my school celebrated a week of dress-up days, "Saber Games," and of course, the big game last night. While I am still learning about my school, I am noticing a lot of differences among places I substitute taught, student taught, and my alma mater. I am careful not to judge, only recognizing that schools run differently according to tradition, abilities, and personalities. The suburban school, only a short hour away, is packed to the brim with students, while my school struggles for enrollment. I am learning so much each day, and this year's Homecoming experience was not any different.

Growing up, Homecoming was the focal point of the fall. Dress-up days consisted of wild outfits full of togas, nerdy suspenders, and spirit day, where red and black colored the school. Powder Puff games and bonfires filled our weeknight activities. We looked forward to coronation and the football game. We wrapped up a week of fun by dancing our booties off to "Who Let the Dogs Out."

My senior year Powder Puff game... don't ask why I have this picture ;-)

Innocent fun. Innocent fun that seems to be lacking today. I was sad to see that Homecoming just isn't what it used to be. There were few kids showing their school spirit by dressing up wacky. Apparently they were "too cool"... lame; however, there was one tradition that I was able to participate in... "Kiss the Animal." Guess what the animal was this year? A donkey. Yes, I kissed an ass.


I am happy to report that the weather cooperated last night. It was perfect football weather for a Saber victory! I sat among parents, students, teachers, and alumni to watch the boys play 8-man football. Yes, schools still play this condensed version of what we watch on TV. I actually really enjoyed learning about it, even though it isn't much different from what we are used to seeing.

At any rate, I am tired today. The only problem is: you can't be tired when Iowa plays Iowa State in football. Welp, time to cheer on the Hawks Cyclones Panthers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment