Sunday, September 30, 2012

Intimidation

I had an interesting conversation this weekend about confidence and intimidation. While one of my good friends suggested, "Confidence is the best accessory," I began to question the idea. Women are encouraged to be articulate, independent, strong, and accomplished; however, it is often a double standard. We are also conditioned to be silent, take up less physical space, and "play by the rules."

So, I started questioning where I fit into the mix. While I have a lot of growing to do, I believe that I am pretty secure. I know what I deserve; I am confident in myself. It took a long time of living in limbo, but I am finally in a profession that fulfills me and that I care very deeply about. Could this be intimidating? Or does it make me seem confident? 

I also got to thinking about my growing faith. While I by no means push my Christianity onto others, I do not shy away from sharing it and being a light to those around me. No, I am not perfect, and I will never try to be. I am simply secure with my faith and proud of myself for it.

Of course, people are also intimidated by looks, intelligence, and shy or outgoing people. The fact is, we are all so very different. Personalities clash while others mesh together perfectly. We just have to learn to exist and be kind to one another - no matter how alike or different we are. 

"I'll show you intimidation."

If this post seems random and weird it's because I have no idea what happened the last 72 hours of my life. How can I still be this drained and tired after a weekend? I need a lot of strength to get me through another week. Bring. It. On.

No comments:

Post a Comment