Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Never Underestimate

When taking on any new job, you hear a lot of buzzing in your ear. "So-in-so always does this." "They are really not good at that." "Watch out for that group." It's hard not to take all of the information to heart. I mean, don't the veterans know all ins and outs of the place?

I was cautioned early on to pick and choose the information that I would receive throughout my first year of teaching. I am beginning to figure out exactly why. The fact is, my classroom should be ran my way. I am the one in charge as soon as my students enter the often chaotic learning space I have created. I remember being told during my student teaching that I am the only one living in my brain, so it makes no sense to try and teach someone else's curriculum. I shouldn't try and act or discipline like anyone else but myself.

I also see this reflected in how I view my students. First impressions are very critical; however, sometimes it doesn't take long to change a person's mind. Just as my students have labeled me, I have categorized them by ability, background, and appearance. Sorry to say it folks, but I'm human. With that being said, I am feeling very humbled this evening as I realize I have been mistaken.

I began reading through my first batch of Composition papers. I had heard rumors of "bad grammar" and "bad writers." Due to these thoughts planted in my head, I was ready to be slightly disappointed. While I have only read a few papers, I am happy to say that I was wrong to assume. I have already gotten goosebumps from the topics and writing style of some of my students. I literally thought to myself: pinch me; I am living out my dream. I love editing, and my red pen has been known to get a little too happy as it glides across student papers. However, I did not feel frustrated or compelled to mark up these papers. I was much more interested in listening to the story behind the words. I have been reminded how important it is to never underestimate anyone, especially the voices of my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment