Saturday, March 10, 2012

More Alike Than Different

I'm baaaack!! Yes, the trip to Haiti was an absolute success. On the plane ride home, I was thinking a lot about this blog post. How do I capture what I saw in Haiti, what I learned, and how I felt? I came to the conclusion that I can't. There are no words to fully explain. I tried to make sure that I journaled each day I was away. As I look back through, I have made these conclusions:

1. Count your blessings. We are so fortunate to have running water, food in our bellies, and opportunities to grow as people. I traveled the rocky, dusty roads of Haiti in disbelief. It is overwhelming to think that the people of Haiti live such poor conditions. Not only must we count our blessings, but it is just as important to use our blessing for good.




2. Love is universal. After meeting the people, even with a language barrier, you could tell that they loved and cared for one another. It is important to look at the heart of people, seeking to find the love that is truly in everyone.


3. Flexibility and patience make life easy. There were times that our team had to wait, and wait, and wait. We had issues with our water generator one day. It was a big issue, but we learned to surrender and be patient. It makes all the difference in the world to just stay positive and make the best of each situation.


4. People are people. That's right folks, we truly are more alike than we are different. The Haitians are people just like you and me. We all share the same feelings. We all want the best for our families. We all deserve the same benefits and opportunities in life.


5. Kids are amazing. Their faces, curiosity, and laughter makes everything worth it.


6. Teenagers are shysters. Yes, it is true. It doesn't matter what country we travel to, what language we speak, those hormones are on fire in every teenager. I spent some time with a couple of teenage boys, and they were hilarious. They poked fun of each other and rocked out to music. They make me smile.


After sharing pictures and stories with my mom, she responded with, "You will never be the same." My answer? "I know, and it's awesome." I have never felt so blessed and balanced. It was such a rewarding opportunity. I am still trying to digest everything. I learned so much, and am continuing to learn.

The best news is that our mission was a great success! We built 43 desks for a local school. The faces of the kids were priceless when we delivered them. God is good.

I'm so glad to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment