Saturday, March 17, 2012

Top of the Mornin'

Happy St. Patrick's Day folks! I'm a little afraid to leave the house. The sea of green that presumably awaits is slightly overwhelming and scary. I also don't own green clothing, so I am risking little fingers pinching me at any corner. I really should have planned my nail polish color out better. I'm pretty sure I own at least five different shades of green. Ba-hum-bug.

I guess there is always a reason to celebrate, so here are a few fun facts for your March 17th St. Patty's Day celebration:

Why green? It represents the lush landscape that can be found in Ireland. And, of course, there are those lucky little green shamrocks.

What's with those leprechauns? Apparently, the 1959 Walt Disney film Darby O'Gill & The Little People inspired the association with St. Patty's Day and these funny little creatures. I'm a little curious about the film now. Maybe I will put it on my "To Watch List".... Probably not.


Why do I always get pinched? People used to believe that wearing green made them invisible to the little sneaky creatures. If you don't wear green, you get pinched as a reminded to beware of the crafty little spirits.

Why do strangers kiss the Irish? In reference to The Blarney Stone, people believe that kissing the stone brings good luck. If people are unable to make it to the actual stone, apparently finding a red-headed Irishman is just as good.

If all else fails, go to McDonald's and grab a Shamrock Shake this afternoon. Enjoy your Saturday my little Irish Leprechauns ;-)

Source: MSN

No comments:

Post a Comment