Saturday, April 21, 2012

The K's


Substitute teaching is quite an adventure. Walking into different schools and classrooms full of students that have no idea who you are is a whirlwind. You truly have no idea what to expect. Will the kids like me? Will there be a good support staff? What on earth will be in the cafeteria (not like I would be caught dead in line for school lunch)? And of course there are always the few kids that test my limits. It’s like they look at me thinking, “how dumb is this girl?” I may be young, but I wasn’t born yesterday. I’d like to think I can handle most situations.

I thought this until I entered a classroom full of 5 and 6-year-olds. Oh. My. Goodness. Did you realize that kindergarteners still cry when they don’t get their way? Yes, I realize that I sound incredibly ignorant. But seriously, I guess I always thought that kids had that figured out before they headed off to school. Isn’t there a checklist out there? Potty trained – check. Plays well with others – check. Stops crying – check. Yeah… about that list… it doesn’t exist.

I talked to my parents after my adventure. My dad is a guidance counselor for little guys (he calls them the K’s), and my mom is a third grade teacher. I’m sure they got a pretty good laugh after I described my day full of pouting, tattling, and snotty noses. “Ms. Nelson, no one likes me (cry, cry, cry).” I would have liked to say, “Probably because you have been pouting and whining all day.” Seriously kids… figure it out.

I probably sound like I am missing a heart. And honestly, I had a good day. It was fun to watch them color and work on number charts. I have to admit I had a great time hula-hooping during recess.

I am thankful that I was able to have the experience teaching younger kiddos. It is always good to “walk in the shoes” of my fellow teachers. I also know for sure that I belong in the secondary level. With that being said, teenagers are charming; however, they aren’t quite as cute as the K’s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment